1.__D_ can help but be fascinated by the world into which he is taken by science fiction.
A. Everybody B. Anybody C. Somebody D. Nobody
2. He claimed to be an expert in astronomy, but in fact he is quite ignorant on the subject; _A__ he knows about it is our of date and inaccurate.
A. what little B. so much C. how much D. so little
3. The managing director refused to accept __D_ of the four proposals made by the contractors.
A. either B. neither C. some D. any
4. Professor Smith implied, but did not directly say, that Americans are more concerned with making money than __D_.
A. everything else B. something else C. nothing else D. anything else
5. There is __C_ possibility of our winning the game.
A. none B. all C. every D. each
6. Three people spoke at the meeting. One was a lawyer, __B_ a teacher, and the third was a social worker.
A. other B. another C. the other D. others
7. I have been to the doctor’s about my backache. He says there is __C_ serious, but I must lie up for a few days.
A. something B. anything C. nothing D. everything
8. The New York Time will soon carry colour advertisements; __C_ of this will matter if newspapers eventually disappear.
A. no B. either C. none D. neither
9. We stood up, thinking through the possibilities. There weren’t __D_.
A. some B. much C. few D. many
10. Melton Brown was the only salon producing its own shampoos and hair-care products, __A_
Based on herbal recipes.
A. all B. everything C. something D. much
11. We __D_ the small peach tree from the back of the house to the front because it did not get enough sunlight there.
A. transfer B. transfered C. transplant D. transplanted
12. Shall we __A_ the order and put Z at the beginning of this dictionary?
A. reverse B. set C. reverb D. reveal
13. The __B_ of Nobel Prize are honored at special ceremonies in Sweden and Norway.
A. reception B. recipients C. receptions D. recipient
14. Rain fell __B_ irregular ___ throughout the night.
A. in intervals B. at intervals C. on intervals D. with intervals
15. The searchlight __D_ the whole area.
A. light in B. fire up C. light out D. light up